Vehicle Registrations and Titles
Here are the documents needed to register and title your vehicle(s):
- One (1) valid Driver’s License or ID for each person that will be on the title
- Two (2) Proofs of New Mexico Residency
- One (1) passed emission test (in Bernalillo County)
- One (1) Proof of Insurance – In New Mexico, the minimum auto liability insurance amounts required are $25,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person, $50,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident. Bring one (1) of the following:
- Valid auto insurance card
- Valid auto insurance policy
- One (1) Vehicle Title – Unaltered, with completed Bill of Sale
- One (1) Bill of Sale – Completed by purchaser and seller
Reminder: Vehicle Registration cost will be based on your vehicle.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED CASE BY CASE
- One (1) Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO) – The original is required.
- One (1) VIN Inspection–for out of state vehicles.
- One (1) Dealer’s Invoice – The original invoice or a certified copy if vehicle was purchased from a dealership.
- One (1) Power of Attorney – Required only when another individuals name will be utilized on the title. Copy of license will be required.
- One (1) Affidavit of Gift of Motor Vehicle or Boat – needed when transfers of gifts are noted.
- Lien Holder Information– required when financing.